Monday, January 24, 2011

Just a little time for loved ones

Joe returned to Chengdu on January 2.  I stayed on so I could take my mother to California to see her  oldest sister, Marie.  My Aunt Marie turned 90 on January 19.  It had been a while since my mother had seen her sister and the opportunity came about to take her for the visit.

On January 11  my mother, my cousin Judy and I flew to Los Angeles for a couple of days.  Judy and I had never been out to visit where my aunt and uncle lived so this was a special trip for us.  They live in Studio City in a quaint little house in the hills.  From their backyard you can see Universal Studios!  They have orange, lemon and lime trees growing in their backyard.  Can you imagine having fresh fruit almost year round in your backyard?

It was a bittersweet reunion with my aunt.  I can't remember the last time I had seen her but I was amazed to see how good she looked for 90 years old.  She reminded me of my grandmother in so many ways.  We would spend a few hours at a time with her and then would allow her times for resting.  We had a small birthday celebration for her with dinner, flowers and cake.

One afternoon we visited the Santa Monica Pier and had lunch at a nice little Mexican restaurant at the end of the pier overlooking the water.   We had great luck with the weather.  It was sunny and clear and the beach was so beautiful the day we visited.  My uncle said it had been raining most days but the weather seemed to cooperate with our visit.

I'm so glad I was able to make this trip with my mother and my cousin.    I'm not sure if I will get an opportunity to see my aunt again but now I have this wonderful memory of her.  I'm so glad my mother was able to spend this special time with her sister.  I can't remember the last time I spent this much time with my cousin and I'm so thankful we were able to make this trip together.   Judy's mother is my mother's middle sister and she is suffering from Alzheimer's.  It has been a difficult time for my mother and cousin watching my Aunt Dorothy suffer with this terrible disease.   It would have been extra special for her to make the trip with us and all three sisters could have been together again.
Mom and her sister, Marie

Aunt Marie and Uncle Sol

My cousin Judy, me and my mother at Santa Monica Pier

Judy, Uncle Sol, Aunt Marie and me


Happy 90 Years!
Cherish your moments with your loved ones and keep them close in your life.

Love to all!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so glad that y'all got to visit Marie and Sol! That meant the world to Marie, especially, I'm sure. It looks like y'all had a great visit. :)

Leigh Ann said...

Sol and Sitter never change! They look so great and I'm so glad you posted pictures for us all to enjoy! I know that will be a trip that all of you will hold onto forever:)