Saturday, October 18, 2008

A Little R & R - Singapore

Early Monday morning we were on a plane to Singapore for the remainder of our vacation. We flew Singapore Airlines which Joe says has to be the best airlines he has ever flown. You can’t imagine the service you get on this airlines and the crew made the ride quite comfortable. We stayed at the Rasa Sentosa Resort on Sentosa Island. Singapore is very tropical and the resort was beautiful. One thing we discovered was that Singapore was a popular vacation spot for people from Australia, India and other middle eastern and European locations. English is also spoken here; a great plus.

Here’s some views of our hotel. The peacocks roamed around the grounds and loved happy hour.

We spent the rest of the day relaxing around the hotel, had happy hour by the pool and ate a wonderful seafood dinner by the water in the evening. The next morning we got up late and made the most of the rest of the day. We went to Underwater World and saw a dolphin show in the afternoon. These were pink dolphins. I didn’t even know there was such a thing! We also rode a monorail to a shopping area across the island where again I noticed that it was full of designer shops and again lots of people shopping. I kept thinking that I wished Kelli was here to enjoy all the many shops. We could have done some major damage. Sorry Papa Joe! That night we had dinner at a place called Newton’s Circus. It is an outdoor market with hundreds of stalls where you pick out your seafood or other type of dish and they prepare it for you. You dine patio style out in the middle of the market. It was a beautiful night and we had the most amazing, huge tiger prawns and lobster!

Dinner at Newton's Circus


On Wednesday we went to the main island to explore Singapore City. We took a cable car ride that went out across Sentosa Island and ended up at a lookout point on Singapore Island. We then took the metro into the city and from there we were in a maze of underground walkways that will take you around town without getting wet or sunburned. Again, as in Hong Kong, the favorite past time must definitely be shopping. There are shopping malls everywhere you look and an unbelievable number of people taking advantage of the shopping! Here you will find designer shopping, as well as international shopping such as Chinese, Indian and other middle eastern shopping areas.

Around Singapore


We took a Duck Tour (in honor of Kelli and Doug) around the city and viewed where the latest Formula I Race had been held a week or so back and got a great perspective of the city and it’s history. After the tour we went on the world’s largest ferris wheel, the Singapore Flyer. It takes thirty minutes to make a complete round trip and gives you the most amazing views of Singapore. On clear days you can also see Indonesia and Malaysia. Again, I was truly amazed of this beautiful country. There was also a floating stadium. The actual playing field is in the water!

Coming off the Singapore Flyer, we went to the world famous Raffles Hotel (a favorite spot in Singapore of Joe's) where we had the traditional Singapore Sling at the Long Bar. Great place, great drink and truly unbelievable to be sitting in a place where they say Ernest Hemmingway stayed and did some of his writing while looking out at the sea. Nowadays the surrounding development blocks what must have been a most spectacular view of the sea. It was so relaxing that we ended up having dinner in the bar before going back to the hotel. Joe had a meeting with company people that night so we wrapped up our day early.

The Raffles Hotel and Long Bar.


On Thursday, our last day, we decided to take it easy and enjoy the pool and hotel. I found out that at the Underwater World they had a Fish Reflexology so I talked Joe into going for a foot massage. Yes, this is where you stick your feet into a pool with little fishes that eat the dead skin off your feet. Words can’t describe this feeling and is best experienced. And, no my feet aren’t infected or falling off! After twenty minutes of this, we then had a twenty minute foot massage that was very relaxing. I was sorry that the twenty minutes was all I got! In the afternoon we relaxed by the pool, reading and enjoying happy hour. We had a buffet dinner at the hotel and called it a night. Our plane would leave at 7:20 the next morning.

Fish Reflexology



It was the most amazing week, especially seeing Joe able to relax and get some much needed down time. We visited two places that were most enjoyable and I know we will be back someday. I still can’t believe how international these cities were and how comfortable I was getting around both places. Not at all like the feeling I sometimes have in Chengdu, language disadvantages and everything else. I do however, know Chengdu is constantly changing and things will continue to get easier for me here.

For those who don't believe that Joe can indeed relax . . . . .



Bye for now. Love to you all, please continue to keep Joe and me and of course, our family in your prayers. Christmas is just around the corner.

2 comments:

aassqqqw said...

From the pictures...everything looks amazing! I am glad yall had time to relax and enjoy some time together. That picture of Dad of that cart is classic! haha

Lindsey Stewart said...

I just love reading about y'alls adventures on the other side of the world! Truly amazing! Love to both of you!!