Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Little R & R - Hong Kong

As Joe mentioned, it’s been one year since he has taken time off from his job for some relaxation. This past week we were able to escape from almost all contact with the company and take some much needed time off.

After being home from the states exactly two and half days, we departed early Friday morning for Hong Kong. I have to admit I was somewhat apprehensive about going to Hong Kong. I again had these preconceived notions about what Hong Kong was all about. I had visions of a very dirty city. And again, I have to admit that I was presently surprised.

We stayed on Kowloon which is across the harbor from Hong Kong. After checking into the hotel, we went down to the business lounge for drinks and a wonderful view of Victoria Harbour. There was a level one typhoon watch and it soon began to rain. We ended up going to the Harbour Front Mall to do a little window shopping. The mall is amazing and full of designer shops. It was also packed with shoppers. We found the Hard Rock Cafe Hong Kong and went in for drinks and an afternoon snack.
Hard Rock-Hong Kong

We had dinner reservations at a Cantonese restaurant for the evening but after eating at the Hard Rock we weren’t hungry so we went back to the hotel for the evening cocktail hour and the night view of the harbor. When the rains subsided we went for a walk along the harbor. They have a Chinese walk of fame with stars for famous Chinese moviestars. It was interesting to see tributes to Bruce Lee and also find the stars of Chou Yun Fat and Jackie Chan (those were the only ones were remotely familiar with!).

Every night at 8:00 PM the office buildings along the harbor participate in a light show. Lights flicker off and on and there are also laser lights com ing off various buildings. It’s truly an amazing sight.
Ferry from Kowloon to Honk Kong

The next day we went to the jade market in the morning. I found some bargains for myself and a few surprises for Christmas too. In the afternoon we took the ferry across the harbour to Hong Kong where we rode the world’s longest escalator. You ride up and up and up the hillside getting the most amazing view of Hong Kong city. From her e we took a tram up to the “Peak”. From this vantage point you can get the most amazing view of Hong Kong, Kowloon and Victoria Harbour. There are restaurants and shopping malls up on the “Peak” and a wonderful lookout point. We went to (of all places) Bubba Gumps, which from the bar has a great view. We actually sat and had drinks and watched day turn into night and ended up having dinner in the bar with the magnificent view of the city below. When it got close to 8:00 PM we went out to the lookout point and watched the light show from high about the city.

City view of Hong Kong
View from the world's longest escalator

The "Peak" overlooking Hong Kong

Joe with his "Lighted" Bubba Gump Beer Mug!

On Sunday we took it easy because it rained most of the morning. In the afternoon we took a ferry harbor tour and ended up back at the hotel for dinner in their Chinese restaurant. Tomorrow would be an early departure for Singapore. Oh, and did I mention that it was my birthday???? The hotel staff sent a bottle of champagne and a little cake with a card to the room that was waiting for us that evening. A great ending to a great weekend!
Happy Birthday to me!

I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised by Hong Kong and immediately fell in love with the city. It is the most international place and English is spoken everywhere. I think the favorite past time pleasure must be shopping because you could literally shop yourself to death here. If you should get tired of shopping, you can always catch a ferry ride for about one hour to Macau to take advantage of the casinos. It’s suppossed to be like Las Vegas without the shows. I know Joe and I will be back for a weekend trip to Hong Kong in the future. It’s only a couple of hours from Chengdu!

Ferry ride touring Victoria Harbor

Next . . . on to Singapore!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Looks like fun!!! What a wonderful birthday trip! Glad that you had a good one. :)