Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Little Bit of Normal

We are finally settling into our new home. Last week was my first full week being a housewife again. I love the place we have rented and can't wait for family and friends to come and visit. We're still in the process of making it feel like home. I have unpacked pictures brought from home and placed them around the house and on the walls and I have to say it makes this place feel much more like ours. I also have a household list that I have been working from to get things we will need in the kitchen and around the house to make things more comfortable. Being in China, that's not always the easiest thing to do. I have a slight communication problem with the people on the grounds of the housing addition we live in, but somehow we all get our point across. We'll be starting with a Chinese tutor soon and hopefully, that will help matters a lot. We'll send pictures soon, I promise.

I've started cooking again after a couple of months of eating all our meals in restaurants and believe it or not I've enjoyed it. I will say that it is hard cooking for two people again and I've had to adapt to that, in addition to being able to get cooking ingredients I'm used to. I did however make Joe brownies today.

Saturday was Paul's 27th birthday and I hated being away for it. I know we won't always be able to be at home for all the birthdays but it was hard not being there for him. We're going have to come up with some way to celebrate all the special days missed during the times Joe and I can be home together. But again, Happy Birthday Paulie! We love you and miss you lots.

I actually had a telephone conversation with Talon on Sunday. He's not one to talk on the phone but Paul somehow got him to talk to me. What a treat! I even understood what he was saying. It usually takes me spending some time with him to get used to his speech. This little guy is growing up right under our noses. He'll be a lot of fun this Christmas.

I can't believe we missed the State Fair this year. Reading Kelli's blog about going to see the new cars and eating a Fletcher's Hot Dog made me a little homesick.

In one month Kelli and Doug will be here to visit. I can't wait to show our first visitors our new home and the sites around Chengdu (Pandas) and Beijing (Great Wall and shopping)!

Love to all.

No comments: