Sunday, June 28, 2009

My Baby Boy is Married!

I've been back in Chengdu for week a now and have finally had a chance to look back on our trip home and the wedding. When I look at my youngest as a married man I can't help but still see him as the little boy growing up. Although I knew this day would come, I don't think I was fully prepared for it.

When we arrived back in Dallas, I literally got off the plane, went to Kelli's to shower and went straight to dinner and the beginning of the bachelorette party for Ashley. The night was full of Mexican food, which I hadn't eaten in a very long time, and pole dancing lessons, something the girls were all looking forward to. I for one had already decided I would be an observer and take pictures. The girls enjoyed their lessons and the experience of dancing on the pole. Some of the girls even seemed to be a natural on the pole! I think some of their significant others were probably imagining having their own pole installed in their homes!

The next night was the bachelor party. Joe had rented a bus for all the guys to go on, preventing anyone from drinking and getting behind the wheel of a car later in the night. I think the guys had a great time and judging from Jay when they got back to the house, he had a great time in his final weekend as a single man. Some of the girlfriends were at the house to pick up their guys. They soon discovered there were two poles on the bus and were excited to show the guys what they had learned the night before. I think the guys were pleasantly surprised at what they had learned.

All in all the final weekend for Jay and Ashley as singles turned out to be fun and filled with a lifetime of memories. All without any mishaps or incidences. They have a wonderful group of friends and it was fun being a part of their activities.

The week leading up to the wedding was filled with last minute preparations and spending time with family. It felt good to be back in the family home and spending time with the kids and catching up on what was going on in their lives.

Friday came fast and there we were at the rehearsal and dinner that followed. The rehearsal went off as planned and then it was time for dinner and celebration of the marriage of two wonderful young people. We had a great barbeque dinner at Rendon's General Store. The place is owned by a cousin of Doug's mom, Pam, and they put on a great party. It was good to have barbequed ribs, brisket and sausage and all the fixins, something we can't get in China.

After the dinner, we had a time of reflection and well wishes to the bride and groom. The floor was opened up to all who wanted to reflect back on Jay and Ashley, their growing up years, fun times and funny and touching moments that left lasting memories. Joe had prepared a video of Jay and Ashley, their early years, their families and their times together. They also showed a video of Jay and Ashley that talked about how they met and came to love each other. After much laughter and some tears, we ended the night with some great music and dancing. This group LOVES to get crazy on the dance floor!

Saturday, June 13, 2009 was wedding day at last! Jay ran errands and got ready for his big night. Kelli and I went for hair and makeup appointments. Before we knew it the day had flown by and it was time for the wedding. The day was unusually hot and it was all that we could do to stay cool and looking good until the wedding actually started.

When it was time for the wedding, words cannot express the pride I had for my handsome son. He seemed very calm and collected on the outside, although I know on the inside he was about to go nuts. I can still remember Joe commenting on how Jay was standing (in typical Jay stance for anyone that knows him well enough, hands in his pocket) and waiting for Ashley to walk down that isle. I can still remember that first expression on his face when the doors opened and he got his first glimpse of his bride. It was at that moment that I lost my baby boy and saw the man he had become. Ashley was the most beautiful bride. Words cannot express how beautiful she was and she seemed so at ease and ready for her big day. Many thanks to family and friends who traveled near and far to be a part of the celebration. Family traveled from California, Ohio, Florida and Virginia. Ashley's brother came all the way from Africa and away from his wife and newborn daughter to join in the festivities.

Before we knew it the ceremony was over, the endless pictures were taken and it was time for the celebration party begin for the new Mr. and Mrs. Jay Ylda. I have to say that the Sharghis and Yldas know how to throw a great party and everyone had a great time dancing. It was fun to see all the kids having such a great time that night. This includes all the little bitties that loved the dancing and seemed to never leave the floor. The highlight of the evening, besides the celebrations for the bride and groom, was the gift from Jay and Ashley to Ashley's father, Si. In true Persian wedding tradition, they hired a belly dancer for Si and I must say he was totally blown away. She was very entertaining and made a point of including Si in the dancing as well.

All too soon the evening had come to an end and the bride and groom had left for their honeymoon and their new beginning. My baby boy was a married man!

I have such pride in all Jay has accomplished and how he has grown in these past few years. I know he will make a great husband and someday a great father as well. His love for Ashley shows in everything he does for her and I know he will make every effort to make her happy. I couldn't have asked for a better new "daughter" than Ashley. She is such a good fit for Jay and for the Ylda family as well. We are lucky and honored to welcome her into our family.

To Jay and Ashley, I wish you both the happiest of times in your new life together. Remember to keep love and laughter in your lives and never go to bed angry. God has truly blessed you both. Remember to walk in God's path and plan for your daily lives and be thankful everyday for all you are blessed with. I love you both!

Also, Happy Birthday to Jay! Today is your special day. Sorry we are not there to help celebrate but you are in our thoughts and we are with you in spirit. Love you, Mom and Dad

Love to all!

Note: Thanks Sarah and Si for sharing pictures!

2 comments:

Doug and Kelli said...

Nice blog...
I can't help but wish you had a blog when I got married. Would have been nice to have my own post :)

Anonymous said...

thanks Kimi... great blog! It was well written and told a great story!
Love you!!

Jay