Thursday, June 25, 2009

Return to Chengdu

It’s Thursday, June 25. Our stay in Texas was wonderful but way too short. As I sit here attempting to reflect back on the wedding and our visit home, I am only reminded that I sit here with no internet and am virtually cut off from my family. Thank heaven for Word so I can at least record my thoughts. But let me backtrack just a bit.

I fought a cold/allergies the last week of our stay that returned with a vengeance on our flight home on Sunday. I was very concerned when we got to Beijing and they came onboard the plane to take our temperatures. I was deathly afraid I would have a temperature, sneeze or cough and end up in quarantine. We eventually made it off the plane and through two more infrared scans before making it through immigration and finally to baggage claim. Safe at last! No quarantine!

Upon arrival at the Hilton Beijing we discovered that we had not gotten there with my computer bag. We found out through a series of phone calls on our behalf by the hotel concierge that my bag was at the Lost and Found in the airport. Exhausted and feeling horrible, we took a cab back out to the airport to get my bag. Safe and sound, no computer missing, everything intact! Whew!!!!!! I knew I could NOT survive without my computer. It’s just become too much a part of my life. Do I sound sad or what?

We got home to Chengdu on Tuesday evening to discover that we had no internet service. I have to remind myself – TIC. Further investigation on Wednesday revealed that our landlord did not pay the bill and it had been disconnected. It was paid and we were told it might take up to 24 hours to get it back on.

That brings me to today (Thursday). I’m still not back on China time and I was wide-awake this morning at 3:00 am. We got notice that we would have no gas service on Wednesday from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm. That didn’t directly affect us except for hot water and cooking on the stove. Well, by the time I took my shower this morning the hot water ran out about mid-way through! Forgot to reset the hot water heater last night! As of 10:00 am this morning there was still no internet. I haven’t spoken with my family in days. Joe left town today for Beijing and will not return until Saturday morning. I have my Chinese lesson this afternoon. Not remembering very much Chinese at the moment so it could be a long lesson. I’m hoping I can get access to the internet at the Bookworm before my lesson to do some catching up with emails. I know I have missed a lot these past few days.

Reflections of the wedding will have to wait until I can clear my mind of all this *@%* I have endured since getting on that plane last Sunday morning. I have yet to shed a tear (I know that won’t solve anything) but any more curves thrown my way this week just might send me right over the edge!!!!! Oh yeah, and I WANT MY INTERNET BACK NOW!!!!!!!

Update: 12:00 pm - Internet is ON!!!!!! I'm back in business!

Love to all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just want to make it perfectly clear that I did not leave her computer at the airport.

Papajoe