Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Just a Little Reality Check!

We are now into our seventh month in China. It suddenly hit me yesterday as I was walking down a street in Chengdu, that “I WAS WALKING DOWN A STREET IN CHINA!” I know how dumb this sounds but this thought hits me at the strangest times. It’s almost like I sometimes forget where I am. I mean really, I had just bought hot dog buns, chili and black cherry ice cream for our dinner! I was talking with Joe about this last night and he said he had the same feeling while eating at McDonalds yesterday for lunch.

Believe me when I say I DO know where I am. It’s just that sometimes I am still truly amazed that I am actually living in China. We have settled into our new lives here in China and have adjusted very well. As I told a friend while home for the holidays, I miss my kids, my family and friends, but I don’t feel as though I’ve actually been homesick. Although I miss the day-to-day life of my family, I stay in constant touch with them.

I think the fact that I’m not homesick (so far) is because I believe Joe and I were at a point in our lives together where we needed a change, wanted a change, and welcomed a change. It was a good time for us to do something for us. I never in my mind thought it would be moving halfway across the world but here we are. We have embraced this adventure and are enjoying rediscovering ourselves together and our love for each other. I don’t even think we can be called “empty nesters” because we were the ones who left the nest! I don't know why the Lord chose this place for us to live but I know there is a purpose for us being here.

As I walked around our neighborhood this morning, I again had to remind myself that I was actually in China. The reality hit me each time I passed a security station and said “Ni Hao” to the guards, or passed workers on the roads. Where we live now could be a community almost anywhere back home.

Meanwhile . . . realty check! I DO live in China! I DO live in China!

Love to all!

1 comment:

Doug and Kelli said...

But your heart is in Texas!
Miss ya!