This morning we attended our first church service here in Chengdu since moving. Chengdu International Christian Fellowship meets every Sunday. I have talked with friends who attend the services and was anxious to try it out.
I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. In a country where organized Christianity is outlawed I was amazed at the size of the non-denominational congregation. There were probably over 250 people present representing over 13 nations. I have never been a part of anything like it. I have to note that you must show a passport before entering. Chinese nationals are forbidden to attend. They can however attend if they are married to an expat.
There is no pastor on staff. Volunteers speak each week, bringing their message to those attending. Today's message came from Ecclesiastes and was quite interesting. There are various people who volunteer to lead in opening music and words are provided on screens for all to follow along. Our friend Jon said that various nations are represented in the music portion of the service. He said there have even been Indian women leading and teaching songs in Hindu. After the singing portion of the service, the children in nursery through 6th grade go to Sunday School and the adults remain for the message.
I had almost forgotten how much I enjoyed listening to the music and the feeling I get when attending a service. I was surprised and glad to also see familiar faces of people I had met at various social events we have attended since moving here. It's was nice to know that we are living in a place with a number of people who share our same Christian beliefs.
After church, we went with friends to have lunch at a Chinese restaurant. Eight of us ate for 128 RMB. With the exchange rate of one US dollar at 6.84 RMB that means we all ate for a total of $18.17. The meal, served in the traditional family style, included rice plus a variety of at least eight meat and vegetable dishes and tea! How's that for Sunday dinner?!!
I ask that you keep Chengdu International Christian Fellowship in your prayers.
Love to all!
I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. In a country where organized Christianity is outlawed I was amazed at the size of the non-denominational congregation. There were probably over 250 people present representing over 13 nations. I have never been a part of anything like it. I have to note that you must show a passport before entering. Chinese nationals are forbidden to attend. They can however attend if they are married to an expat.
There is no pastor on staff. Volunteers speak each week, bringing their message to those attending. Today's message came from Ecclesiastes and was quite interesting. There are various people who volunteer to lead in opening music and words are provided on screens for all to follow along. Our friend Jon said that various nations are represented in the music portion of the service. He said there have even been Indian women leading and teaching songs in Hindu. After the singing portion of the service, the children in nursery through 6th grade go to Sunday School and the adults remain for the message.
I had almost forgotten how much I enjoyed listening to the music and the feeling I get when attending a service. I was surprised and glad to also see familiar faces of people I had met at various social events we have attended since moving here. It's was nice to know that we are living in a place with a number of people who share our same Christian beliefs.
After church, we went with friends to have lunch at a Chinese restaurant. Eight of us ate for 128 RMB. With the exchange rate of one US dollar at 6.84 RMB that means we all ate for a total of $18.17. The meal, served in the traditional family style, included rice plus a variety of at least eight meat and vegetable dishes and tea! How's that for Sunday dinner?!!
I ask that you keep Chengdu International Christian Fellowship in your prayers.
Love to all!
1 comment:
That sounds SO neat! I love that you share parts of the Chinese culture with us through your blog. It makes me so happy when I see that you have a new post. :) It's like a little history/culture lesson.
Miss you guys!
Post a Comment