Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A new year begins

A new year begins and we are back in Chengdu after a wonderful few weeks with family and friends for the holidays. It was good to be back home with the kids and the rest of the family for my most favorite time of the year.

The whole Family including the dogs of course!

When I got home on the 11th of December, the kids had gotten the Christmas tree up and decorated and Kelli had spent her precious time decorating the house for the holidays. I knew this Christmas would bring many changes due to our move, but it was good to see the familiar decorations when I walked into the house. Since we didn't decorate our home in Chengdu I was anxious to get into the Christmas spirit. I love decorating for Christmas and I love our house decorated at Christmastime. I also knew this would probably be the last Christmas we spent in this home.

I spent my first days going to scheduled doctor's appointments and getting my Christmas shopping done. Joe came in on the 18th and it felt good to have all of us together again. Joe got the company suite tickets for the Mavericks game on the 23rd and had the whole family together for a great night. Talon enjoyed being at the game and got into all of the excitement and activities going on. We seem to have a great time when we all get together.

Talon had a great time at the Mavericks Game

With the family growing up and adding new members into the fold, it now takes us several days to celebrate with everyone. Christmas Eve was spent with Joe's family at our house. It's getting harder and harder to get everyone together so it was good to spend time and catch up on what everyone is doing. We had our usual Chinese gift exchange that always seems to provide great entertainment.

Pete, Karen and Joe

Christmas Day was spent with my Mom and Dad, Joe's stepmom, Kelli and Doug and Doug's mother and grandmother. It was a very relaxing day and I enjoyed cooking Christmas dinner for them all. Joe's birthday is on Christmas Day so we always have lots to celebrate. The kids all gathered back at our house on Christmas night and opened their traditional Christmas pajamas.

The next morning we had our family Christmas breakfast and opened our gifts. This Christmas it was fun to watch Talon and his enthusiasm opening all the presents. It's been a long time since we've had a little one and I love the excitement this time of year brings.

On Saturday after Christmas, we spent time with my parents and my brother and his family. I know this time is special for my parents and I am glad we were able to all be together. There are five great-grand kids now and my parent's house was filled with the Christmas spirit.

Joe and I with my Mom and Dad

With the kids all grown, having a grandchild and everyone having other places to be at the holiday time, this year brought changes to some of our past traditions. This was the first year since Paul Michael was born that Joe did not read the Night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve after we opened Christmas pajamas. It was hard not to have that special time together. This year did begin new traditions for the kids. Kelli and Doug spent their first Christmas morning together in their own home. Talon spent his first real Christmas morning with all his goodies from Santa (they later had to bribe him to get him out of the house). Jay and Ashley will start their own Christmas traditions when they get married later in the year.

It's hard to accept change sometimes but 2008 seemed to be a year full of changes for our family. Through it all, we have become stronger in our love for each other and have learned to cherish the time we are able to have with each other.

I know we didn't see as many as we hoped on our trip home, but our time with the kids was so special. Joe got some much needed relaxation, I got my Talon-time, we had family game night, dinners out at favorite places; life couldn't get much better.

I hope your 2009 is a great year. For me, I'm looking forward to Ashley's graduation in May and Jay's and Ashley's wedding in June, and whatever else comes along the way.

Happy 2009! Have a great year!

Love you all.

No comments: