Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Little Prayer for a Friend

I have a friend here in Chengdu that recently by self-examination found a lump on her breast. It’s hard enough to find something like this under “normal” circumstances. It’s even harder to deal with when you are thousands of miles away from home. It’s a known fact that expats here in China do not necessarily trust medical facilities here. There are international doctors that have clinics you can go to. These are fine for minor things but anything more serious takes a lot more consideration. Going to Chinese facilities is most often difficult due to huge communication problems. Serious medical needs have directed people to Hong Kong, Singapore or Thailand for the best medical care available. Most companies will fly expats home in the event of a major medical situation.

My friend will go to Hong Kong on Tuesday to see a doctor. She is very positive going into this, but is anxious to have some resolution so she can move forward. She and her family have a strong belief in prayer and healing. She is also lucky to have a college friend living in Hong Kong that is a breast cancer survivor. She will be going to see this friend’s doctor for a diagnosis.

My friend has not had a mammogram; she has not yet reached that age where you go to get them regularly. She does not have known breast cancer in her family. It’s only by self-examination that she found something out of the ordinary. The doctor in the clinic here wanted to remove the lump without benefit of a mammogram, sonogram or anything else to make a reasonable diagnosis.

I know I have a huge network of family and friends praying for Joe and me as we continue our journey here in China. I am now asking you all for your prayers for my friend. I come from a family with a history of breast cancer and take this matter very seriously when it comes to my own health. My friend and I have talked about this and she knows my concerns for her. She is upbeat and positive and relies on her faith to get her through this. I share her optimism but a little prayer never hurts!

Love to all.

No comments: