Since coming back from the holidays, we have had a series of utility shutdowns in our housing addition. Some forewarned, some not, some lost in translation. I have since talked with others who says this happens quite frequently, no matter where you live in the city. TIC
Being forewarned is not always the best. On these days, it has usually been the electricity and I pack up and go with Joe to his office for the day. Most of the shutdowns begin around 7:00 in the morning and last until 6:00 in the evening. Joe currently has extra space in his office so I can at least have a place to sit and read or use my laptop. It does however, make for a long day. We actually went home one evening at 6:30 since our electricity was promised to be back on by that time. Upon arrival we discovered no power and no chance for any until close to 10:00 pm. We spent the evening cuddled up under covers, with candlelight and the limited battery power of the laptop to keep us company.
Since coming home, it seems that the gas has been the major cause for concern. We have gas powered heat and hot water. When these go, forget a warm comfy home or the promise of a nice relaxing hot shower! Joe and I both have fallen victim to unexpected cold showers several times in the past two weeks. For the most part we aren't even aware we don't have heat or hot water until getting up in the mornings or that burst of cold water that follows the end of the hot water in the tank.
Last week I was supposed to meet Joe in town for a dinner at his office building to celebrate the upcoming Chinese New Year. I had no hot water when it came time to take my shower. It was not scheduled to come back on until after I was scheduled to meet him for dinner. Now, I'm not that spoiled but taking a freezing cold shower in the middle of winter is not my cup of tea! Later the same week, I was actually in the shower, getting ready to go in to town when the hot water suddenly became cold water. Talk about a quick shower! This also happened on Monday, when again I was scheduled to meet Joe in town for a company dinner. This time I thought I had it in me to suck it up for the blast of cold. Huh! I think that shower lasted maybe 2 minutes but it might have been less!
We have been told that there was a gas line break somewhere in the area causing low or no pressure at times, who knows! There is a lot of construction in our housing addition as well as major road construction and building in the surrounding area. I know during the day is the best time to get the work done, but boy does it ever grate on your nerves when all you want is a nice hot shower! I have a friend who has offered her home for the sake of a hot shower. The gesture is nice but it's not practicle when you have to pack a bag to go take a shower! We also purchased a small space heater this past weekend to help warm us up when we have no heat.
Joe has business in Beijing for a couple of days this week so I came along with him. Thank you Hilton Beijing for having the best hot shower! Hopefully this will rejuvenate me for when we return home to who knows what!
Love to all.
Being forewarned is not always the best. On these days, it has usually been the electricity and I pack up and go with Joe to his office for the day. Most of the shutdowns begin around 7:00 in the morning and last until 6:00 in the evening. Joe currently has extra space in his office so I can at least have a place to sit and read or use my laptop. It does however, make for a long day. We actually went home one evening at 6:30 since our electricity was promised to be back on by that time. Upon arrival we discovered no power and no chance for any until close to 10:00 pm. We spent the evening cuddled up under covers, with candlelight and the limited battery power of the laptop to keep us company.
Since coming home, it seems that the gas has been the major cause for concern. We have gas powered heat and hot water. When these go, forget a warm comfy home or the promise of a nice relaxing hot shower! Joe and I both have fallen victim to unexpected cold showers several times in the past two weeks. For the most part we aren't even aware we don't have heat or hot water until getting up in the mornings or that burst of cold water that follows the end of the hot water in the tank.
Last week I was supposed to meet Joe in town for a dinner at his office building to celebrate the upcoming Chinese New Year. I had no hot water when it came time to take my shower. It was not scheduled to come back on until after I was scheduled to meet him for dinner. Now, I'm not that spoiled but taking a freezing cold shower in the middle of winter is not my cup of tea! Later the same week, I was actually in the shower, getting ready to go in to town when the hot water suddenly became cold water. Talk about a quick shower! This also happened on Monday, when again I was scheduled to meet Joe in town for a company dinner. This time I thought I had it in me to suck it up for the blast of cold. Huh! I think that shower lasted maybe 2 minutes but it might have been less!
We have been told that there was a gas line break somewhere in the area causing low or no pressure at times, who knows! There is a lot of construction in our housing addition as well as major road construction and building in the surrounding area. I know during the day is the best time to get the work done, but boy does it ever grate on your nerves when all you want is a nice hot shower! I have a friend who has offered her home for the sake of a hot shower. The gesture is nice but it's not practicle when you have to pack a bag to go take a shower! We also purchased a small space heater this past weekend to help warm us up when we have no heat.
Joe has business in Beijing for a couple of days this week so I came along with him. Thank you Hilton Beijing for having the best hot shower! Hopefully this will rejuvenate me for when we return home to who knows what!
Love to all.
3 comments:
oh lordy!! TIC...you guys!
Jay
Cold Shower !!! Remind me of the days in Africa !!! Very refreshing.Have a great one .
I can see how that would be a bit frustrating! Does this mean there is any chance of you coming back home sooner? :)
Post a Comment