Officially, this is now my longest business trip in my +30 year career. Four weeks away from home is entirely too long. However, I did have some visitors from the Dallas office visiting this past week, so I enjoyed the company. Once Kim and I move to Chengdu it will be easier, but this constant travel back in forth is not very exciting.
Things are moving well with the establishment of our Chengdu office. We heard from the District Government officials that our application had been approved! Just think I’m now running an official Chinese company. According to my attorney, they have never seen an application processed so quickly. If you recall, from a previous post, I spent the day with the local officials and I guess it paid off. They personally picked up our application in Shanghai; hand carried it back to Chengdu and formally submitted it to the Provincial Government. I guess this is really the land of whom you know!!
The District Officials are having my “Chop” produced and I should have it early next week. A “Chop” is an official seal required when dealing in agreements and financial transactions. Previously, I had to dip my thumb in a pad of red ink and stamp the agreements. I’m glad this process is coming to an end, I always felt I was giving up a piece of me each time my thumb pressed against a document.
The office construction is moving along. The walls are up, the cabinets are hung, and the ceiling went in over the weekend. Major items remaining include the carpeting, doors and trim, and the company logo. Speaking of the logo, earlier in the week, while checking on the office construction, I noticed the workers trying to apply a temporary vinyl logo to check for size and color. Well, I couldn’t help but notice the crew was applying the logo upside down. This was quickly corrected by showing them one of my business cards and we all had a good laugh.
On Thursday night, our team participated in “Rabbit Thursday”. This is a weekly event where many of the foreigners meet at a local restaurant for BBQ rabbit. On this night, 21 people showed up representing several countries, including the U.S.A, Germany, Spain, Syria, France, Kazakhstan, China, as well as a few others. Guests included the new Consulate General for Germany.
Here’s a news flash, ELVIS SPOTTED IN CHENGDU CHINA! Yes it’s true, after eating rabbit; the team went to a local Irish Pub where one of our contract employees performed as an Elvis impersonator. Or as he calls himself, and Elvis interpreter because he performs other songs as well. The young man is from Canada but lived in Vegas for a while and started performing as Elvis when he was very young. He did a great job and everyone loved his performance. The Chinese were especially surprised when he performed a Chinese love song in Chinese! Oh, he also attended the Sichuan University here in Chengdu and speaks fluent Mandarin.
Well my July 4th was spent doing something I seem to enjoy more and more. Playing golf at the Luxehills course. This time I wasn’t alone, two of the visitors joined me on a cloudy and rainy day. Despite the bad weather, I improved my score and a good time was had by all. The two visitors told me that the course is the best they have ever played.
We finished the holiday off with a rack of BBQ ribs and some cold beer at the local German restaurant. Yes, it tasted just like Texas BBQ.
Sorry my posts are so long, but once I start to write I can’t seem to keep it short. Hope all of you had an enjoyable 4th of July.
I fly back to Dallas on Friday the 11th and Kim & I depart for our China assignment on Saturday, July 19th.
3 comments:
Hi Kim,
The time is gettin close for your great adventure. I have been following your blogs and just wanted you to know Woodie and I are praying for you and Joe.Looking forward to hearing how you will be copeing and how you like the food.what an opportunity!
Love, Wanda & Woodie
Dad... We're all so ready for you to come home. I can't believe it'll only be for a week. Then you'll be taking my mother with you. Time sure is flying.
Can't wait to see you. We all miss you too much ;)
I LOVE your long posts Papa Joe! Don't apologize! Jay told me you ate rabbit.. and after I showed my disgusted face, he said "when we go, just don't think about what you could be eating!" Can't wait for you to be home soon.. I agree that 4 weeks is definitely too long. We all miss you, especially Mama. I love the last line of your post "...depart for our China assignment". It sounds all CIA like!
Post a Comment