Sunday, June 29, 2008

071908

Our departure flights have been made. 071908.

It seems like we have been talking about this move for years instead of months. I spend my days going through drawers and closets trying to decide what to throw away, what to give to charity, what to store and what to take with me. I live by a list of things to do that never seems to shorten. Every time I do one thing on the list, I add two or three back. The rest of the time is spent spending time with the kids and thinking about how much I miss Joe. He's been gone for two weeks now and for some strange reason this time it seems like much longer. I know it's even harder on him because he's own his own so far away.

Things seem to be progressing with his new offices in Chengdu but I get the feeling that he wishes he had someone there to help out with picking the carpet and furniture. In addition to the offices, he's negotiating with two different landlords to see who will give us the best deal on a new home. Once I get there we will begin to pick out the furnishings for the house. I'm actually very excited about that. It's been a long time since I've bought new furniture and furnished a new place. It's almost like starting from scratch. My biggest challenge comes in what to take from our present home to make our new home "home".

Things are busy with the family right now. Talon is in his big boy bed and starting to potty train. I know once he masters this he will be well on his way to being a big boy. I'll miss seeing the subtle changes in him. Paul and Candice are settling into summer and Paul is coaching a select baseball team that commands a lot of his time. Kelli and Doug are getting settled back into Texas. Kelli found a librarian job at an elementary school and they are looking at loft apartment. Jay and Ashley are busy planning their wedding. I'm glad I was still here to go with Ashley to find her wedding dress. Yesterday was Jay's birthday and we are going to dinner tonight to celebrate. My mom is having knee surgery next week and I hope to spend some good time with her and dad during her recovery.

It's hard to believe that in 20 days my life will totally change. I keep asking myself if I'm too old for this kind of change in my life! Am I really prepared for this move? Then I remember what this time will mean for Joe and I and the memories we will make together to take back home.

Please continue to pray for us on this adventure and keep our family close in your thoughts.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mama.. I too, am glad you were there to see me pick out my wedding dress. I will miss you and all of your knowledge and advice during all of the planning, but I will definitely keep you updated! It's hard to believe that in less than a month you guys will be off to China, for real and for good. Good luck on starting the next chapter of your lives. And you're right, you will make tons of memories together that I cannot wait to hear about. However, I look forward to making some with you guys, too!