Friday, May 16, 2008

What a Tragedy!

Well, I finally arrived in Chengdu this afternoon. Other than seeing a lot of military personnel at the airport everything seemed normal. There was no visual evidence of damage to buildings, roads, or overpasses as I drove towards Chengdu. However, I did see numerous military troop convoys and supply convoys loaded up with food, clothes, and other supplies. All of them headed towards the epicenter.

After dinner, I walked the area around a neighborhood and saw a large number of families living outside in tents and under trees. Also walked through a local mall where ~ 200 people have made it their temporary home. Folks are still afraid to move back into their homes fearing another quake. In fact, they had a large aftershock yesterday and expect another tonight in the 6.0 magnitude range. The hotel staff tells me that this hotel can withstand an 8-10 magnitude quake.

Street corners have turned into make shift donation centers; they are collecting clothing, blankets and other items for the quake victims. The restaurant I ate at tonight asked if I would contribute an additional 30% of my bill to the disaster relief fund. You just can’t say no.

I've only been in the southern part of the city so I have not seen any structural damage. I understand the quake damage is in the northwest; closer to the epicenter. The death count in the Chengdu area is ~ 1500 based on the China Daily Newspaper. Still think the overall death toll will be in the 60-70K range once they finish with the recovery efforts.

What a tragedy!

Joe

No comments: