Sunday, April 6, 2008

"A Little Detour" begins

Joe and I are preparing to make a move to Chengdu, China for 2 to 3 years. Early in January of this year Joe was approached by his company to consider taking an assignment in China. After serious consideration and many conversations with our family, we have decided this is a good time for us to take this "little detour" in our life.

My thoughts and emotions are all over the place right now but one thing I know is this is the right decision for us at this time in our lives. We have spent the past few days in Boulder, Colorado with a team of consultants attempting to prepare us the best they can for what we can expect with the move. This not only included how to live our everyday lives but also how Joe would be conducting business in China. Over the next few months Joe will be making trips back and forth to China with the permanent move coming probably in June. He leaves tomorrow for three weeks and I will be meeting him on April 17 to get my first look at Chengdu and hopefully find someplace to live. We will both return on April 25 and will begin the process of tying up loose ends here with the house and our affairs to make the move as easy as possible.

I am looking forward to seeing a part of the world I never even imagined I would get to see. Joe has traveled extensively in the Far East and was born in Okinawa. He can't wait to show me China and take some weekend trips to Japan and Okinawa to see where he spent the first years of his life.

I can't wait to get settled and have family and friends visit us! I will be coming back home as often as Joe will let me and will keep in touch as often as possible. Joe has promised me an international phone which will make things a whole lot easier. If you Google Chengdu, China it will give you an idea of where we will be and I'll post pictures as soon as I can showing where we will be living.

In the meantime, I plan to keep this online journal to document our life in China and the experiences we will encounter on a daily basis, as well as cover our little weekend trips.

Love you to you all, and PLEASE stay in touch. Please keep us in your prayers. Only God knows what our purpose is for this "little detour" we are about to take. Also, please keep our family in your prayers and continue to give them all the support they will need.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

As hard as this move has been for me to imagine... I know it will bring nothing but wonderful things to our family. You and Dad will have so much fun together as you begin this new chapter in your lives. We love you so much!! Doug and I have already talked about how much fun it'll be to visit China.
Keep the blog up... I LOVE IT!

Sarah said...

Welcome to the blogging world! This will make it much easier to keep connected. :) Can't wait to hear about all of your adventures. We're excited for y'all!

Anonymous said...

I know that this will be an experience of a life time. We will certainly miss you both. I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Also Pat and Paul. They are going to miss you but I can tell them the drill!!! with both my grandchildren out of state, not even out of the COUNTRY.
I will look forward to reading the blog!! Love to you both, Nana(Wanda)

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to hearing all about your "new little detour" in China! Keep up the blog :-)
Best of luck!!

Jen said...

I am so excited for you both! This will be a wonderful adventure. Take it from someone who knows how hard it is to leave everything and everyone that you know and love behind and move somewhere where you have never been...it is really hard, but really exciting! I wish you the best of luck. I can't wait to see pictures from China!!!
Love ya!
Jen

Anonymous said...

WELL AFTER 30 YEARS IT IS FINALLY "GET EVEN TIME". I REMEMBER HOW IT FELT LEAVING KIM BEHIND AND MOVING TO NEW ORLEANS. IN FACT I STILL LOOK AT THE APARTMENT EACH TIME I DRIVE DOWN ARKANSAS LANE AND REMEMBER.
GO DO IT HAVE FUN YOU WILL NOT LOSE A THING HERE OR ANYONE WHO LOVES YOU. IN FACT IT WILL BE LIKE STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN JUST YOU AND JOE. GOOD LUCK AND GOD'S SPEED. DAD & MOM 4/9/08

S. Martin said...

Kim, we'll certainly miss you in the office, but I'm really excited for this opportunity you have. While living overseas can present challenges, the benefits are invaluable! Godspeed!

Anonymous said...

I am shocked to hear of your move to China but know it will be an experience of a lifetime. They say everything happens for a reason and god has a plan so we'll be checking the blog and staying in contact!!

Love ya,
Kathy Beck Skates