Ni Hao! That's hello in Chinese!
I leave on Wednesday for my first trip to China. My one fear was having to make my first trip alone so I made Joe promise that he would make it with me. Well, that fell apart when he left ten days ago for business across several cities in China. It didn't seem logical for him to fly home just to fly back with me so here I go.
I leave at noon Wednesday for the first leg of the trip which puts me first in Tokyo, Japan. Flight time 13 hours. After a three hour layover I make a three hour flight to Beijing where I will meet up with Joe. With the time changes that makes my travel time about 20 hours. Thank God I am in business class so my ride will be somewhat comfortable.
We plan to spend three days in Beijing. Joe wants to show me some of the sites, Great Wall, Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, and the cite of the opening ceremonies for the Summer Olympics. And, of course, the shopping! Can't wait to do the shopping. I think even Joe enjoys shopping there.
On Sunday we will take a two and a half hour flight to Chengdu where we will be living. Monday will be a newcomers orientation of the city and how to get around. Tuesday and Wednesday we will be looking for a place to live. Hopefully we will find the right place for us in this visit so that will be taken care of.
I hope to take lots of pictures so I'll get them posted as soon possible.
In the meantime, pray for me! I've traveled alone before but it was never for this long. Hopefully I will encounter people along the way that speak at least a little English. My Chinese is still waiting to get out of me and don't even talk about my Japanese!
For now "Zai Jian" (Good bye)!
6 comments:
Hope you have lots of fun, mom!!! I'll miss talking to you :) I love you!!
Hope you made it there in one piece...Have fun and don't let that new video camera go to waste. Love you guys, see you next weekend!!
Hey Kimi!
Just got off the phone with Modl. Melissa said that there is no report yet whether you made your connection in Bejing. We are hopeful, though, since there have been no reports of international incidents.
Have fun with Joe. Make him take you to that ancient "graveyard" of Chinese warriors made out of clay and provide all the details!
Luvu,
cathy
Hey All,
She arrived safely here in Beijing! We had a great day today and I'll let her tell you about it in her next post.
Kim, Glad you arrived safely. I'm thinking of you. Enjoy your first taste of China. I hope you find a place!
Sharla
Hey Kim,
We are thinking of you and missing you. Becky and I were trying to figure out just how many hours ahead of us you are? Let me know how it's going.
Blake
Post a Comment