My flight was long but uneventful! I watched four movies and had two meals and a snack from DFW to Tokyo. I didn't sleep but a few hours, not sure why but it probably had
After the Great Wall we went back to Beijing where we drove around the
Olympic village and got a view of Bird's Nest Stadium. Believe it or not it really looks like a bird's nest. There's a structure being built next to the stadium that is rumored to be the site of the olympic torch. I guest we'll have to wait and see. Beijing is doing lots around the city in preparation of the Olympics. Trying to put it's best foot forward I'm sure. You can't believe the architecture of the buildings here. Some of them seem to defy gravity in their construction.
On Saturday we went to Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden Palace. The square was filled with people, lots of tour groups. It's funny to see the individual tour groups, the
y distinguished by the color of hat they are wearing! The palace and the grounds are massive. You go through a series of gates and courtyards, with palaces along the way. All of the palaces have specific names and history dating back to around 1420. After exiting the palace, we rode a rickshaw to what we thought was g
oing to be the Pearl Market. It turned out that we were just taken through a series of allies and streets that basically got us nowhere. I told Joe we would NEVER do that again! I wasn't sure what the next turn might present! Kelli, it was worse than going through the back allies of New York!
We finally got direction and a cab to the Pearl Market where we talked to Joe's favorite pearl dealer. Got some good deals for friends and myself of course and walked through the different floors. It's exhausting with all the people trying to make a sale at their booth. Puts New York's Chinatown to shame! No back allies here. You need watch, purse, Ipod, night telescope?
Our day is done. Joe took me to have duck tonight. It was not bad. They carved it right at our table. Tomorrow it's on to Chengdu and our quest to find a new home.
6 comments:
See, I know how to show a girl a good time....
Looks like y'all are having fun!!! Have you found Sue-Lee yet? :)
who is that man in all of these pictures with you...is that my dad??? man its been soo long..hahah..love you guys!! can't wait to make my trip up there!
Whew! You covered a lot of ground considering you were jet-lagged! Good luck house hunting!
It's so funny... I find myself wanting to talk to ya'll even more than ever. I guess it's because you're so far away.
Looks like you're having a lot of fun and seeing some amazing sites. I'm sure mom is like a deer in headlights!!! I can't wait to see some potential housing options.
LOTS OF LOVE!!!!
Kim,
I am soooooo jealous! I have always wanted to see the Great Wall and I am living the experience vicariously through you and Joe. It looks wonderful and I am sure you are having a good time, despite the whirlwind tour!!
Blake
Post a Comment