Last week was a very long week. Joe left town on Monday and didn’t return until Saturday mid-day. I’m used to him traveling but here lately it seems that he’s away more than he is at home. Things are pretty busy for him right now and I know the year is coming to an end and they are trying to wrap up some things, but I still miss him being home.
I do have things to occupy my time here in Chengdu. I’ve made lots of friends and there is always something going on. Somehow that doesn’t replace the fact that Joe is gone and I miss him. After all, he’s my BEST FRIEND! He left again on Sunday and will be back on Thursday. The thing is that staying in a hotel and being on the road is now growing old for him as well and he’s ready to spend some time at home with me. Yea! Hopefully the next few weeks before we leave for home for the holidays will go by quickly and he can then get some very much needed down time with the family.
I also spent last week saying goodbye to dear new friend. Kay is leaving today for the states and then will settle in Perth, Australia with her husband, Steve. He works for Chevron and has been reassigned to Australia. She has been a good friend to me here in Chengdu and I will miss her dearly. This is the first time I have had to say goodbye to one of my new friends. Most of my other friends (many Chevron wives) are experienced with saying goodbyes because they have been expats for many years, moving from place to place. One thing I know for sure is that it doesn’t get any easier. We spent an afternoon at lunch and then went to a wonderful place for afternoon tea. On Friday we played Mahjiang one last time together and then went to a favorite expat hangout, Peter’s, for Friday Margarita Happy Hour and dinner. One good thing is that Kay’s son lives in Perth and she will be close to family with the new move.
This week will be busy. On Tuesday I start a bible study on the study of Esther with some women here in Chengdu. I’m excited about the study and have heard many good things about it. I will also be attending a baby shower for a young expat wife. It’s good to know that no matter how far you are from home, life still goes on and you can still look forward to familiar things here as well. On Wednesday, it’s the monthly Chengdu International Women's Club luncheon and Chinese lessons. These things make the days go by faster and before I know it, it will be Thursday and Joe will be home.
I’ve worked most of our marriage as well as spent many years at home raising kids and being a mother. Right now is a lot of fun for me because I like feel I’m living the life of the spoiled wife. Like almost all of my friends here, I have a part time house helper that keeps things in order at home. That leaves the days filled with lunches, nail and hair appointments, foot and body massages, facials, teas, game days, shopping, and cultural excursions. These are also the things that keep me from missing Joe when he is away on business.
I am so thankful for the friends I've made here in Chengdu that keep me going and keep me smiling, even on those days when I am really missing Joe and home. They are truly a wonderful support system.
Love you girls!
Love to all, see you soon.
2 comments:
Love you and can't wait to get back on Thursday!
I totally know how you feel, Kim! No matter how many fun things you plan or how many friends you are blessed with, nothing replaces having your husband home every night. I'm so proud of Joe for how hard he works, and I know that you are too. You've done so much better than I ever would at adapting to life in China. I'm so impressed! The holidays are just around the corner and we'll all be together. Yay!!!!
Post a Comment