It's been a while since I have sat down and written about what's going on with our lives. I'm looking out my window at a thick haze that has been in and around town for past several days. Not a good day to walk around our beautiful neighborhood so I guess I'll catch up on a few things.
We got to go back to the states for about ten days in October. It was an extended holiday time here and we didn't have any plans so decided to go home for a few days. We got a good airline rate and off we went. Kelli and Doug were moving into their new home at that time and it was around Talon's birthday so everything fell into place just right.
It was so exciting to see their new home and help them move in. I know Kelli and Doug were glad to have family and friends help their move go so smoothly. It's a beautiful home and I know they will make many great memories in it. It's also a great home to start a young family. I can't wait to see little Sanders running up and down those stairs! It's also a great home for gathering friends and family. I'm excited to see it decorated up for Christmas. It's a perfect holiday home!
We were also able to see Jay's and Ashley's new home since they had settled in after the wedding. They have done a lot work to make it their special place and it suits them perfectly. Toodles even seems to have made it her new "temporary" home until I can get back to her.
We got to celebrate Talon's 4th birthday while home. He is changing so fast now that every time we come home I notice the great leaps he has made in growing up. The best part is that he does not forget Joe and I and is so excited each time we come home now. He's even a lot better talking on the phone with us and we can actually understand him now! We even took him to the State of Fair of Texas one day and we had a great time with him.
The best part about being home was having Paul, Candice, Talon, Kelli, Doug, Jay and Ashley all together in one place. These special times are so precious to me now that I love every minute we all get to spend together. Put us together with great beer and wine, good food, the Wii, a random BB pistol and whatever else comes our way and we're sure to have a great family time!
I also got to spend time with my parents and they with us and all the kids and I can't express how good it was to have us all together. It's hard when we are home for such short trips to spend time with everyone but we try the best we can. Joe and I got to spend time with Susan (his stepmom) and help her with some things around her house. Joe even got in some golf time with the boys, something he loves to do when he comes home.
We had dinner one night with Pete and Sandy (Joe's brother and sister in law) and Sherri, an old school friend from way back. It was nice to have a great dinner and talk about old fun times. Sherri and I stay in touch but don't see each other often enough and it was so nice to sit down and talk about our school adventures and mishaps.
The rest of October flew by once we got back to China. Joe has been on the road with business practically every week here lately for at least one or two nights a week. That leaves me to occupy my time here in Chengdu with friends and activities. I still play Mahjong every Friday and of course there are the regular nail appointments and foot massages, luncheons and two book clubs. I stay pretty busy! I have also found a Japanese hairstylist that I love and am now confident in getting my hair cut here instead of waiting for my trips home.
I recently hosted the first Bunco party at my house. I had fourteen women and we played Bunco and had a fun lunch. I have missed my Bunco group back home and many here have expressed a desire to make this a more regular game event. Okay by me.
Last Wednesday, I traveled to Shanghai with Joe on a business trip. Our nephew Wade was in China on business and would be in Shanghai also. We got to have dinner with Wade on Thursday night. It was a beautiful clear day and evening in Shanghai and we enjoyed a nice night eating outside and enjoying the sights of Shanghai. This was Wade's second trip and probably not his last and it was nice to see family.
Saturday night we attended the Marine Ball for the Marines stationed here in Chengdu to guard and protect the U.S. Consulate Office of Chengdu. The ball is held every year worldwide to celebrate the birthday of the U.S. Marine Corps. It is a great opportunity to thank our Marines and spend a nice evening dressed up with friends for great dinner and dancing. This was our second year to attend and we really enjoyed this year because we knew many more people.
Which brings us back to now. Joe's boss is in town for the week. We had dinner last night with company people here in Chengdu. Today Joe and his boss leave for the week to Shanghai and Xian for business. Joe will return on Saturday. He will leave again for Beijing on Sunday, then on to Japan for a few days. The following week he will be in Malaysia. He is pretty busy right now and I am thankful for the friends I have made here in Chengdu that can keep me busy and not missing him so much. Tomorrow is the morning monthly book club and Thursday night I will host the evening monthly book club so this week should go by pretty fast.
We hope to have friends to our house to celebrate a Thanksgiving Dinner at the end of the month. Here in China, the Expats observe the Chinese holidays first which means that Thanksgiving Day is a work day. We will celebrate on Thanksgiving weekend. The Chengdu International Women's Club will also host their annual Christmas Bazaar that same weekend and I'll get to make baked goodies and work the bake sale table. Just like a little bit of home!
We have our plane tickets for home for Christmas! I will be home on Dec. 10 to get my shopping done and get ready for Christmas with the family. Joe will come on Dec. 17. We're both looking forward to spending more time with family and hopefully seeing more extended family and friends. I love my holiday time and can't wait to get back.
Love to all!
We got to go back to the states for about ten days in October. It was an extended holiday time here and we didn't have any plans so decided to go home for a few days. We got a good airline rate and off we went. Kelli and Doug were moving into their new home at that time and it was around Talon's birthday so everything fell into place just right.
It was so exciting to see their new home and help them move in. I know Kelli and Doug were glad to have family and friends help their move go so smoothly. It's a beautiful home and I know they will make many great memories in it. It's also a great home to start a young family. I can't wait to see little Sanders running up and down those stairs! It's also a great home for gathering friends and family. I'm excited to see it decorated up for Christmas. It's a perfect holiday home!
We were also able to see Jay's and Ashley's new home since they had settled in after the wedding. They have done a lot work to make it their special place and it suits them perfectly. Toodles even seems to have made it her new "temporary" home until I can get back to her.
We got to celebrate Talon's 4th birthday while home. He is changing so fast now that every time we come home I notice the great leaps he has made in growing up. The best part is that he does not forget Joe and I and is so excited each time we come home now. He's even a lot better talking on the phone with us and we can actually understand him now! We even took him to the State of Fair of Texas one day and we had a great time with him.
The best part about being home was having Paul, Candice, Talon, Kelli, Doug, Jay and Ashley all together in one place. These special times are so precious to me now that I love every minute we all get to spend together. Put us together with great beer and wine, good food, the Wii, a random BB pistol and whatever else comes our way and we're sure to have a great family time!
I also got to spend time with my parents and they with us and all the kids and I can't express how good it was to have us all together. It's hard when we are home for such short trips to spend time with everyone but we try the best we can. Joe and I got to spend time with Susan (his stepmom) and help her with some things around her house. Joe even got in some golf time with the boys, something he loves to do when he comes home.
We had dinner one night with Pete and Sandy (Joe's brother and sister in law) and Sherri, an old school friend from way back. It was nice to have a great dinner and talk about old fun times. Sherri and I stay in touch but don't see each other often enough and it was so nice to sit down and talk about our school adventures and mishaps.
The rest of October flew by once we got back to China. Joe has been on the road with business practically every week here lately for at least one or two nights a week. That leaves me to occupy my time here in Chengdu with friends and activities. I still play Mahjong every Friday and of course there are the regular nail appointments and foot massages, luncheons and two book clubs. I stay pretty busy! I have also found a Japanese hairstylist that I love and am now confident in getting my hair cut here instead of waiting for my trips home.
I recently hosted the first Bunco party at my house. I had fourteen women and we played Bunco and had a fun lunch. I have missed my Bunco group back home and many here have expressed a desire to make this a more regular game event. Okay by me.
Last Wednesday, I traveled to Shanghai with Joe on a business trip. Our nephew Wade was in China on business and would be in Shanghai also. We got to have dinner with Wade on Thursday night. It was a beautiful clear day and evening in Shanghai and we enjoyed a nice night eating outside and enjoying the sights of Shanghai. This was Wade's second trip and probably not his last and it was nice to see family.
Saturday night we attended the Marine Ball for the Marines stationed here in Chengdu to guard and protect the U.S. Consulate Office of Chengdu. The ball is held every year worldwide to celebrate the birthday of the U.S. Marine Corps. It is a great opportunity to thank our Marines and spend a nice evening dressed up with friends for great dinner and dancing. This was our second year to attend and we really enjoyed this year because we knew many more people.
Which brings us back to now. Joe's boss is in town for the week. We had dinner last night with company people here in Chengdu. Today Joe and his boss leave for the week to Shanghai and Xian for business. Joe will return on Saturday. He will leave again for Beijing on Sunday, then on to Japan for a few days. The following week he will be in Malaysia. He is pretty busy right now and I am thankful for the friends I have made here in Chengdu that can keep me busy and not missing him so much. Tomorrow is the morning monthly book club and Thursday night I will host the evening monthly book club so this week should go by pretty fast.
We hope to have friends to our house to celebrate a Thanksgiving Dinner at the end of the month. Here in China, the Expats observe the Chinese holidays first which means that Thanksgiving Day is a work day. We will celebrate on Thanksgiving weekend. The Chengdu International Women's Club will also host their annual Christmas Bazaar that same weekend and I'll get to make baked goodies and work the bake sale table. Just like a little bit of home!
We have our plane tickets for home for Christmas! I will be home on Dec. 10 to get my shopping done and get ready for Christmas with the family. Joe will come on Dec. 17. We're both looking forward to spending more time with family and hopefully seeing more extended family and friends. I love my holiday time and can't wait to get back.
Love to all!
1 comment:
Wow...you and Joe seem busy! Sounds like you have really settled in there and made some friends. I will have to find out what books you are reading for your book club! I know you will have a great trip seeing family when you come home in December. Miss ya!!!
Jason, Jen, Addy, and Kate
Post a Comment