I began this blog as a way to keep my family and friends informed of our time spent in China. It has turned into much more over the past year. I have been able to express many thoughts about our life here in China, missing my family, homecomings and much, much more. I may not be a prize winning writer but I have to admit I do love to do my entries and I hope those that read it enjoy reading about our lives.
One year ago as I began this journey I was preparing to make my first trip to China for a "look" to see if I could possibly even consider making such a move. The following is a run-down of what has since transpired:
April 2008 - My first trip to China. First impressions were amazement that a developing country could hold so many surprising adventures. The history and culture alone will blow you away.
The Great Wall
The Forbidden Palace-Beijing
May-June 2008 -Preparations for the move. Saying goodbyes. During this time Joe was also keeping us updated on the devastating earthquake that hit Chengdu on May 12, 2008. This was actually a tense time for us, not knowing the extent of the out-reaching damage to where we would be moving.
Friends and family sign a farewell photo
July 2008 - The "Little Detour" begins!
One last family photo before we go!
August 2008 - Pandas, Olympics
I LOVE the pandas!

Olympic Torch runs through Chengdu
Bronze and Gold Medal Baseball games-Olympics 2008
September 2008 - Grand Opening Joe's company's China office. First trip "home". We move into our new home!
Company workers at grand opening dinner for China office.
Talon turns 3 while I'm home
Dinner with the kids
October 2008 - First R & R. Joe was ready for our first vacation since moving. We really enjoyed Hong Kong and hope to return soon. Singapore was an amazing country and very relaxing.
Hong Kong
Singapore
November 2008 - Zhuhai Air Show and Macau. We loved Macau (Far East Vegas)! First visitors. We were so VERY excited to have our first house guests, Kelli and Doug. It was so nice to have someone visit and see this amazing country. Hopefully they were able return and reassure those at home that we are just fine.
Macau
Zhuhai
Thanksgiving on the Great Wall with Kelli and Doug
December 2008 - Home for Christmas and some much needed family time.
Kim, Dad, Mom, Joe
Pete, Karen, Joe
Family Christmas Breakfast-a tradition I hope never goes away!
January-February 2009 - Chinese New Year
Chinese New Year with friends picking a fireworks box
March 2009 - We had our first party for new friends in our home here in China! Home trip - wedding showers and preparations, family time.
Chinese tea ceremony with friends
The ladies at Longqian Peach Blossom Festival
MOG, Ashley, MOB-Wedding Showers!
April 2009 - R&R to Thailand. We have truly enjoyed Thailand. More to come later!
Here's a preview - View from our hotel in Phuket, Thailand
Along the way we have developed some great friendships with expats and Chinese natives here in Chengdu. I have met an amazing circle of women that I am able to do many things with. I truly enjoy the company of these women. They make my stay here much more bearable and we are learning about the country together on our little adventures. We have also found the Chengdu International Christian Fellowship. Through this outreach we have been able to enrich our faith and continue to be blessed in a country that does little to encourage such a practice.
I travel with Joe occasionally on his business trips to Beijing and Shanghai. These little 2-3 day trips are a welcome respite from Chengdu. I hope to do some exploring of Shanghai in the coming months as Joe's work continues to take him there.
As you can see from above we have also been able to take some R&R trips. These are part of a company agreement which allows Joe to take some much needed relaxation time. We can go just about anywhere we want to go but home to the states during these R&R trips. This is our time to visit parts of the world we would not have seen otherwise. I am developing a great appreciation for the beauty offered in this part of the world.
It won't be long until we'll be home for the Jay's and Ashley's wedding and some more much needed family time. One great thing about this move is the amount of time we try to spend with our kids, grandson and parents each time we come home for a visit. These are truly cherished times. We try to get as much visiting done as time allows but can't seem to see and talk with everyone we would like. Thank you to those have taken the time to read this blog, responded through email and Skype. Joe and I really do love hearing from anyone who takes the time out of their day to think of us.
Love to all! See you in June! In the meantime, keep reading and let us hear from you!
3 comments:
You are a wonderful writer, and have painted such a beautiful picture of your adventures in China and all the places you have visited. I truly enjoy reading your blog and am a little jealous of all you are seeing and doing.
Looking forward to seeing you and Joe in June for the kid's wedding.
Happy Blog-iversary!!! I'm so glad that you have been diligent in keeping up with your blog. It is such a fun way for us to see China through your eyes. :)
Congrats on 1 year! You have made so many incredible memories in a year! You have experienced so many things that many of us will never get to do! Thank you for keeping us updated and playing the digital tour guide! I know that you miss home everyday, but what a way to spend your time. Lots of love from the Lone Star State!
Post a Comment