Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Reason for the Season

It’s strange to be sitting here the first week in December looking at a house with no Christmas decorations. By this time I’m usually getting all of my decorations out, organizing and beginning the long process of putting everything up. I usually have a huge majority of my Christmas shopping done and have a pile of bags in one corner of the bedroom. By this time I’m decorating my Christmas tree and wanting the gifts wrapped and under the tree. By this time I’m getting into the excitement of the season, watching as many Christmas movies as I can, reading as many Christmas books as I can (I’m on my 9th Christmas book right now), looking forward to spending time with loved ones and feeling the emotion that this time of year brings each time I hear a Christmas carol or see a nativity scene. What more can I say but I LOVE CHRISTMAS!

Since Joe and I will be going home for the holidays (I’ll be there on the 11th, Joe on the 18th!), we have not planned for any decorating in our house in China. For the past few weeks I have begun to notice holiday decorations going up around town. To me this is quite strange to see. I know that Christmas is celebrated all over the world. I also know that many countries and people only celebrate the commercial aspects of Christmas. I guess I just feel like this is such a special holiday for Christians in the world that it seems strange to see things here in a country where it is forbidden for the people to express their faith openly. Here you must show your passport to get into a western church service and nationals are not even permitted to attend a western church. Christmas Day is not a holiday here in China; it’s just a normal workday for most. If you look on the internet it will tell you that Christmas is celebrated here like every place else in the world but not as a religious holiday.

I find myself wondering what the significance of this time of year really is for the people here. Is it mostly for the foreigners living here? Do they understand the true nature of this special time of year? What do they do on Christmas Eve? Do Chinese Christians have to hide their faith behind closed doors or can they gather together during this wonderful season to celebrate Christ’s birth? Many changes are occurring in this country. Maybe one day they will be able to celebrate the true Christmas more openly and share the spirit of the season with others.

As you prepare for your holiday season and the time you will spend with your loved ones, pray for those in the world that don’t know or choose not to acknowledge the true reason for this wonderful time of year, the birth of our Lord Jesus.

Have a wonderful holiday season, Merry Christmas!

P.S. I just read The Purpose of Christmas by Rick Warren. It was a great little book to put you into the true Christmas spirit. I’m currently reading The Paper Bag Christmas by Kevin Alan Milne.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

I can't imagine celebrating Christmas without being able to acknowledge my relationship with God. That is so sad to me! Thank you for your post. You made me think about the season in a totally different light. I am grateful that I can go to church and celebrate the birth of our Savior!

On a less deep note: Thanks also for putting the clock widget on here. Now I don't have to do the math in my head or guess what time it is in China. :)