Today is my parents' wedding anniversary. What makes it more special is that it is their 58th wedding anniversary!
In this day and age it says a lot when two people can say they have been married to each other for almost 60 years. My parents have the most loving relationship and they have been the most amazing example of how two people can work together to make a marriage work.
For most of the time growing up my dad traveled all week for his job and was only home on weekends. My mother was the major caregiver in our home. I remember her baking at the holidays, being a part of our school and church and making sure that my brother and I were cared for while my dad was gone. I can remember waiting for my dad to get home on Fridays. You could never guess what he might bring home from those trips. On one particular occasion he brought home a chihuahua puppy in his coat pocket. We had that dog, Prissy, for over 15 years. I remember the family going to the lake almost every weekend during the summer months and spending all day at the lake with family and friends.
I remember my parents moving to New Orleans when I was just out of high school and wondering what I would do without them, especially my mother. My mother had never been very far from her own mother and I know this move was hard on her. I remember visiting them in Louisiana through the years until they moved back to Texas. Those were great years and we all survived living apart.
I'm sure these times away were hard for them as well as my brother and I. During this time babies were born, grandparents passed away, weddings were held and friendships changed. But one thing I know for certain is that after all the years that my dad had to travel they continued to strengthen their relationship together through their faith, commitment and love for one another.
They have been a shining influence on my marriage to Joe. It is through their commitment to each other that I have been able to grow in my love, trust and commitment to Joe. My mother is who gave me the strength to overcome my fears about moving away from my own family this year. I'm no different than she was when she moved away from her family for that short period in their lives. Although I know I miss day to day events in the lives of my family, I know this time will pass quickly and I will be back with them soon.
On this special day, Mom and Dad I love you and thank you for the loving, Christian example you give to Joe and me and our own kids each day for what a marriage should be and what it takes to make it endure the test of time.
Happy Anniversary and may the Lord continue to bless you both.
I Love You,
Kimberly
In this day and age it says a lot when two people can say they have been married to each other for almost 60 years. My parents have the most loving relationship and they have been the most amazing example of how two people can work together to make a marriage work.
For most of the time growing up my dad traveled all week for his job and was only home on weekends. My mother was the major caregiver in our home. I remember her baking at the holidays, being a part of our school and church and making sure that my brother and I were cared for while my dad was gone. I can remember waiting for my dad to get home on Fridays. You could never guess what he might bring home from those trips. On one particular occasion he brought home a chihuahua puppy in his coat pocket. We had that dog, Prissy, for over 15 years. I remember the family going to the lake almost every weekend during the summer months and spending all day at the lake with family and friends.
I remember my parents moving to New Orleans when I was just out of high school and wondering what I would do without them, especially my mother. My mother had never been very far from her own mother and I know this move was hard on her. I remember visiting them in Louisiana through the years until they moved back to Texas. Those were great years and we all survived living apart.
I'm sure these times away were hard for them as well as my brother and I. During this time babies were born, grandparents passed away, weddings were held and friendships changed. But one thing I know for certain is that after all the years that my dad had to travel they continued to strengthen their relationship together through their faith, commitment and love for one another.
They have been a shining influence on my marriage to Joe. It is through their commitment to each other that I have been able to grow in my love, trust and commitment to Joe. My mother is who gave me the strength to overcome my fears about moving away from my own family this year. I'm no different than she was when she moved away from her family for that short period in their lives. Although I know I miss day to day events in the lives of my family, I know this time will pass quickly and I will be back with them soon.
On this special day, Mom and Dad I love you and thank you for the loving, Christian example you give to Joe and me and our own kids each day for what a marriage should be and what it takes to make it endure the test of time.
Happy Anniversary and may the Lord continue to bless you both.
I Love You,
Kimberly
No comments:
Post a Comment