I know, I know. It's been a little while since I've posted. It seems like our life is getting more and more like normal as time passes by. Since Jay and Ashley left in February I can't think of anything we've done or seen that wouldn't have been like life back home. I guess that means we are really getting into our life here in China.
The one thing I can report is that we've had almost a whole week of sunshine here in Chengdu which is really unusual. Everyone here is so excited to see the sun and you can tell on the streets because everyone is out. You see more and more people eating outside on patios at restaurants and it just feels SO good to feel the sun on your face. For those who don't know, Chengdu isn't usually this sunny and more days than not, we have this funky haze over the city. When we get sun and blue sky we feel like we are in heaven. Last night we sat with friends on the patio at one of our favorite restaurants and enjoyed this wonderful weather. We were all so excited to look up and actually see a clear sky and stars! As I write, Joe is playing golf in the sun today and I know he will come home with a little more color to his face. Temperatures have been in the high seventies and yesterday it reached 80 degrees! Spring is definitely in the air.
Tonight we are going to the 1st Annual Chengdu Mardi Gras Ball. It's a dress up affair and everyone has been scrambling around town getting dresses made, trying to buy shoes (hard to do here in China if your size is over a 7-7 1/2), getting nails done, getting hair done. I'm so glad I decided to bring some "dress up" clothes with me because they really have come in handy. The women who have put the whole affair together are from New Orleans and have gone all out with everything Mardi Gras. It's shaping up to be a wonderful night filled with food, spirits, dancing with friends and a little bit of New Orleans thrown in. I'll post pictures soon.
I have recently become involved in a charity group called Hopeful Hearts here in Chengdu. It is a part of Amity Foundation and was started in Nanjing, China about four years ago. The mission of the charity is to help poor or orphaned children who have heart defects. A friend of mine here, who once lived in Nanjing and was a part of Hopeful Hearts there, found that there was need for the charity here in Chengdu. She has been very successful in getting people and companies involved in this mission to help out these frail children (many who would die without the help of Hopeful Hearts and doctors who are willing to give their time for the surgeries). The organization raises money to help fund the operations for these children and many lives have been saved as a result.
In February a 15 year old girl was operated on successfully here in Chengdu. This young girl had been left abandoned by the side of the road by her family because they could not care for her or afford medical help. She was found by a woman who took her in and sought help for her medical needs. She is now recovering from the surgery and should live a healthy life. On Monday, a 3 year boy will undergo surgery to fix his heart defect. These operations are done with the help of funding from Hopeful Hearts.
Next Wednesday we will have a luncheon and silent auction to raise funds for Hopeful Hearts. Please keep Hopeful Hearts and the children they help in your prayers. It feels so good to be a part of something so needed and to be giving back to the community in such a vital way. Without help, many of these children will die and many have before help could come their way.
On a MUCH lighter note, next Friday Joe and I leave for our R & R in New Zealand. We are ready to get away from China for a while and are really excited to see New Zealand. I've spent many hours looking at the many things to see and do. One thing I know for sure is we will rent a car and drive around this amazing island country. The Lord of the Rings movies were filmed in New Zealand and there are many beautiful locations to see. There seems to be something for everyone: fiords, glaciers, lakes and rivers, fishing, water adventures of all kinds, vineyards and even casinos! I don't think we will be bored but I do know we will not get to see and do everything in one visit. Can't wait to share our adventure with everyone!
Before long it will be May and we will be back home for about 10 days for Kelli's graduation and some much needed family time.
Until then, LOVE to all!
The one thing I can report is that we've had almost a whole week of sunshine here in Chengdu which is really unusual. Everyone here is so excited to see the sun and you can tell on the streets because everyone is out. You see more and more people eating outside on patios at restaurants and it just feels SO good to feel the sun on your face. For those who don't know, Chengdu isn't usually this sunny and more days than not, we have this funky haze over the city. When we get sun and blue sky we feel like we are in heaven. Last night we sat with friends on the patio at one of our favorite restaurants and enjoyed this wonderful weather. We were all so excited to look up and actually see a clear sky and stars! As I write, Joe is playing golf in the sun today and I know he will come home with a little more color to his face. Temperatures have been in the high seventies and yesterday it reached 80 degrees! Spring is definitely in the air.
Tonight we are going to the 1st Annual Chengdu Mardi Gras Ball. It's a dress up affair and everyone has been scrambling around town getting dresses made, trying to buy shoes (hard to do here in China if your size is over a 7-7 1/2), getting nails done, getting hair done. I'm so glad I decided to bring some "dress up" clothes with me because they really have come in handy. The women who have put the whole affair together are from New Orleans and have gone all out with everything Mardi Gras. It's shaping up to be a wonderful night filled with food, spirits, dancing with friends and a little bit of New Orleans thrown in. I'll post pictures soon.
I have recently become involved in a charity group called Hopeful Hearts here in Chengdu. It is a part of Amity Foundation and was started in Nanjing, China about four years ago. The mission of the charity is to help poor or orphaned children who have heart defects. A friend of mine here, who once lived in Nanjing and was a part of Hopeful Hearts there, found that there was need for the charity here in Chengdu. She has been very successful in getting people and companies involved in this mission to help out these frail children (many who would die without the help of Hopeful Hearts and doctors who are willing to give their time for the surgeries). The organization raises money to help fund the operations for these children and many lives have been saved as a result.
In February a 15 year old girl was operated on successfully here in Chengdu. This young girl had been left abandoned by the side of the road by her family because they could not care for her or afford medical help. She was found by a woman who took her in and sought help for her medical needs. She is now recovering from the surgery and should live a healthy life. On Monday, a 3 year boy will undergo surgery to fix his heart defect. These operations are done with the help of funding from Hopeful Hearts.
Next Wednesday we will have a luncheon and silent auction to raise funds for Hopeful Hearts. Please keep Hopeful Hearts and the children they help in your prayers. It feels so good to be a part of something so needed and to be giving back to the community in such a vital way. Without help, many of these children will die and many have before help could come their way.
On a MUCH lighter note, next Friday Joe and I leave for our R & R in New Zealand. We are ready to get away from China for a while and are really excited to see New Zealand. I've spent many hours looking at the many things to see and do. One thing I know for sure is we will rent a car and drive around this amazing island country. The Lord of the Rings movies were filmed in New Zealand and there are many beautiful locations to see. There seems to be something for everyone: fiords, glaciers, lakes and rivers, fishing, water adventures of all kinds, vineyards and even casinos! I don't think we will be bored but I do know we will not get to see and do everything in one visit. Can't wait to share our adventure with everyone!
Before long it will be May and we will be back home for about 10 days for Kelli's graduation and some much needed family time.
Until then, LOVE to all!
No comments:
Post a Comment