I recently read the book The Girls from Ames by Jeffrey Zaslow. It’s a story of the forty- year friendship between eleven girls growing up in Ames, Iowa. It follows how their friendships came to be, their early school years, high school years, college years and life as they all began to move in different directions across the country. It’s a story of lasting friendship that goes beyond anything that life threw their way. It’s a story of the support they gave to each other through the toughest times in their lives and how they rallied as a group to show support for those that needed them the most. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves to read especially anyone who values the friendships they have made in their lives. It reminded me of the importance of having girl friends in my life.
In reading the book I began to reflect back on friendships I have made through the years. Although I do not claim to have a forty + year close friendship, I do have those that I am proud to call my friend, some that I have known as far back as I can remember.
Through the years friends have come and gone in my life: going separate ways after school, moving to different places, boyfriends, marriages, children, whatever the reason may be. Some have been brief friendships, some lasting years at a time, some still going strong. No matter what the reason or circumstance for each of these friendships, each and every one has left a lasting impact on my life and the person I am today. One person I include in this unique group is my daughter. She has grown into the most amazing woman. We share our lives and feelings and I am proud to call her not only my daughter but friend.
Living in China and practically starting all over in the friend department, I am so thankful for the women I have met here and the bonds of friendship I have made. With Joe traveling, I don’t think I could survive being here without the friends I’ve made. I know I will carry these friendships with me always.
Women seem to share a unique bond that you don’t often see in men. Girl friends thrive on strong emotions and feelings with the ability, and need, to talk freely with each other no matter what the topic may be. Girl friends understand when no one else can. Men seem to operate more on the ability to just hang out or be involved in a sport or activity and not have to talk about anything in particular at all.
To all my girl friends now and through the years, thank you for being my friend. Thank you for what you bring to my life and how you make me a better person for knowing you. I am proud to call you my friend and I hope you feel the same when you think of me. Thank you Jeffrey Zaslow for writing this wonderful story.
In reading the book I began to reflect back on friendships I have made through the years. Although I do not claim to have a forty + year close friendship, I do have those that I am proud to call my friend, some that I have known as far back as I can remember.
Through the years friends have come and gone in my life: going separate ways after school, moving to different places, boyfriends, marriages, children, whatever the reason may be. Some have been brief friendships, some lasting years at a time, some still going strong. No matter what the reason or circumstance for each of these friendships, each and every one has left a lasting impact on my life and the person I am today. One person I include in this unique group is my daughter. She has grown into the most amazing woman. We share our lives and feelings and I am proud to call her not only my daughter but friend.
Living in China and practically starting all over in the friend department, I am so thankful for the women I have met here and the bonds of friendship I have made. With Joe traveling, I don’t think I could survive being here without the friends I’ve made. I know I will carry these friendships with me always.
Women seem to share a unique bond that you don’t often see in men. Girl friends thrive on strong emotions and feelings with the ability, and need, to talk freely with each other no matter what the topic may be. Girl friends understand when no one else can. Men seem to operate more on the ability to just hang out or be involved in a sport or activity and not have to talk about anything in particular at all.
To all my girl friends now and through the years, thank you for being my friend. Thank you for what you bring to my life and how you make me a better person for knowing you. I am proud to call you my friend and I hope you feel the same when you think of me. Thank you Jeffrey Zaslow for writing this wonderful story.
2 comments:
I am proud to call you my friend and look forward to your return. Can't wait to read "The Girls"....
Love, Pam
Thanks Pammie! You'll love the book.
Post a Comment