Saturday, January 9, 2010

Happy 2010! Where did 2009 go?

We've just welcomed in 2010 but where the heck did 2009 go?

This time last year Joe and I were just settling back in to Chengdu after spending Christmas with the family back home. We had been in China for six months and just beginning to get settled into our new home.

Throughout 2009 Joe and I both were very fortunate to meet some amazing people here in Chengdu that have now become life long friends. It's so good to know that we are not alone and so far away from our loved ones. We have bonded with people who are in the same position and it has helped us through this life changing move. I met some amazing women in 2009 that I can call on in times of crisis or just if I have a bad day and need someone to listen.

We were able to see some of the most amazing parts of the world in 2009 and do some some amazing things.

In January we celebrated our first Chinese New Year. This is a huge celebration for Asians throughout the world and I'm so glad we were able to participate in a small way in the celebration. We spent New Year's Eve walking the streets of Chengdu with friends watching the fireworks. Eventually we gave in and become a part of the celebration by purchasing our own fireworks and watching the beautiful colorful display of light in the sky. Chinese New Year will be a treasured memory.

In March I was able to go back home to attend wedding showers for Jay and Ashley. I'm always so excited to go back for visits and this time was no exception. My consolation in having to leave was the fact that I would return in June for their wedding.

In April Joe and I went to Thailand for our R&R. We also had the pleasure of spending part of this vacation with our friends from Chengdu, Jon and Katie and their two kids. We had the most amazing and unforgettable time in Phuket and Bangkok. We saw some beautiful tropical islands, rode an elephant and had some of the most amazing Thai food.

In June Joe and I traveled back to Texas for Jay's and Ashley's wedding. It was such a joy to see our baby boy get married and bring such an amazing young woman into our family fold.

In July we traveled to Juizhaigou with new friends we met here in Chengdu. Rey and Linda are from Texas and we have such a good time with them. This place in the far northwest of the Sichuan Province is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. We spent an entire day exploring some of the most beautiful nature spots. I do not profess to be a hiker, nor do I have a desire to do so, but this trip was so incredible I would do it again in a heartbeat. They say you should see this beautiful place in the different seasons to truly experience its natural beauty.

In August our nephew, Wade, came to China on business and we were able to host him in our home for a few days and show him a little of Chengdu. It is always to special to have someone come to visit and be able to show them where and how we live.

September brought another R&R. This time we chose Australia! Going to Australia has always been a dream trip for me. We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary in September and celebrating it in Australia was the perfect way to do it. I have fallen in love with Australia. My most favorite spot was Queensland. We experienced the Great Barrier Reef up close and personal. I experienced scuba diving for the first time. I held a Koala! We didn't have enough time to thoroughly explore and experience all this wonderful place has to offer so hopefully we can return soon.

In October we were able to go back home for a short visit. It was just enough to satisfy our need for family and just enough to get us through until Christmas.

In November Wade was back in China and I went with Joe to Shanghai to spend some time with Wade. November also found us celebrating Thanksgiving. In 2008 Doug and Kelli came to China and we spent Thanksgiving in Beijing eating our traditional Thanksgiving meal in Peter's Tex Mex/Beijing. 2009 was no different. We spent Thanksgiving again at Peter's Tex Mex/Chengdu with Jon, Katie and the kids having a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. On Saturday, Joe and I hosted company employees/expats in our home. I did the whole Thanksgiving dinner with all the fixings. We were also able to see some of our Chinese friends celebrate American Thanksgiving for the first time.

December 2009 again brought us home to Texas to all our family and friends. We had the most amazing holiday and great times with family. These are the things that help sustain us when we go back to China.

Joe traveled extensively in 2009. I'm so glad I have made friends here in Chengdu that can help occupy my time when he is away. I have had the opportunity to travel with him from time to time. I have joined two book clubs, play mahjong regularly with my friends and take outings around Chengdu with my friends from time to time. In the fall I began a bible study with the most amazing young women. Most of them are much younger than me but I feel I have much to offer them and I am learning so much from them.

Here's some of the books I read in 2009 that I enjoyed:

The Shack
Fireproof
The Wednesday Letters
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
Wild Swans
The Last Song

Reading is one of my favorite hobbies. I am usually into at least two books at any given time. The two book clubs have expanded my world of reading, reading some things I probably would have never thought of reading. Some I liked, some I didn't like. Still, I read strictly for pleasure and am constantly looking for new things to read. I have my favorite authors, James Patterson, Nora Roberts, Janet Evanovich, Nicholas Sparks, Debbie Macomber. I started off 2010 reading the 19th Wife. Interesting story about the Mormon church and polygamy and something quite different from what I'm used to reading.

2010 is shaping up to be a busy year already. We are anxiously looking forward to Jay and Ashley coming in February to celebrate Chinese New Year with us. In March we are hoping to see New Zealand. In May we will be home for Kelli's graduation from UNT with her Master's Degree in Library Science. In September we are talking about experiencing Oktoberfest in Germany. Joe's stepmother, Susan, is planning to visit this year, my friend Sherri hopes to come and Kelli and Doug are also talking about coming again.

With all this activity, our time in China is making the years fly by. In July we will have been here two years and hope to be back home by the end of 2011. In the meantime, we will soak up all we can and make the most of our global experience. The best part is I'm with my best friend and the love of my life!

Only the best to you all in 2010! Make the most of it!

Love to all!

1 comment:

Doug and Kelli said...

You failed to mention that your visit home in October was for our BIG move :) Spending time with family was just a bonus!!