Last weekend we had our nephew, Wade, visit for the weekend. He was in China on business (WOW, how crazy does that sound!) and actually came to Chengdu to visit a company. We were so glad to have someone come to see us! You don't realize how much a visit from family or friends from home means until you move a jillion miles away.
What should have been a 2 1/2 hour flight from Shanghai Chengdu turned into an almost eight hour ordeal on Thursday. Wade boarded his plane an hour late and then sat on the plane at the gate for almost four more hours before they finally took off. One thing you don't want to do is be in a closed in space with a bunch of angry Chinese, something Wade soon learned. The only thing they were told was that there were problems on the Chengdu end of the flight. But hey, this is China (TIC). He finally got to our house around midnight, very tired.
Since we only had a few days with Wade we tried to show him as much of Chengdu as we could. Friday morning started off with golf at our complex where we live. Joe is always excited to introduce new people to the golf course here. They had a great round and I think it presented a great challenge to Wade. Friday afternoon Joe took Wade and his associate, Xiao, to his office to show them his facilities here in China.
Later in the afternoon I took Wade to experience his first Chinese foot massage. I think he was caught off guard by the girl that tackled his feet! When he wasn't laughing because she was tickling his feet in the process, he was all but coming out of his seat from the pain. I have come to the conclusion that most men cannot tolerate a good foot massage like women. He just had the hardest time relaxing. Me on the other hand just love to sit back and relax and feel all my tensions go away right through my feet. After the foot massage we met up with Joe at one of our favorite hang outs, Peter's Tex Mex for some margaritas and Mexican food. I think Wade was surprised at how good it could actually be all the way over here in China. We met up with some friends from Joe's company and had a very relaxing evening.
Saturday morning we got up early and took Wade and Xiao to the Chengdu panda research and breeding center. No matter how many times I go to this place, I love seeing the pandas. They are so entertaining and playful in the mornings and this particular day they were no exception. We also got the opportunity to hold a red panda. It was a very pleasant day, overcast and not very hot and we had a great time walking through the park and down by Swan Lake where there are black swans.
We went on to Jinli Street, a walking street that looks like old China. There are lots of shops and small restaurants (even a Starbucks) and it's a very popular place for locals and visitors. We sat outside and ate lunch and watched the people walking by. I actually think more people were looking at us. For some reason it's quite funny to see how the Chinese react to a tall, blond westerner. We also enjoyed sampling some of the various street foods that are cooked and ready to eat. Joe and Wade picked out roasted octopus on a stick to try. My first time for octopus, very rubbery. I can now take that off my bucket list and move on. I would however recommend the fried sticky rice balls on a stick!
Saturday night we took Wade to another of our favorite restaurants where they cook everything right at your table. We were joined by my friend Linda (her husband Rey was away on business) and our good friends Jon and Katie and their kids. We had a very enjoyable dinner and I'm glad some of our friends here in Chengdu got an opportunity to meet one of our loved ones from home.
Sunday morning we took Wade to the church we are attending here in Chengdu. It is compiled of people from nations all over the world and is a true global experience. There are lay leaders who lead the music and lesson service. Although quite different from what Wade is used to back home, in a country where organized religion is not readily accepted, I think he went away with a most unique worship experience.
After church we went to small street restaurant that we enjoy going to for lunch and let Wade experience some the true Sichuan food from the area. Afterwards we went to computer street and took him on a tour of one of the many multi story buildings full of any type of electronic or computer equipment you could possible want or need. That night we took Wade to a Sichuan Opera with dancers and the famous face changing.
Although his visit with was short I hope he now has a better understanding of where we live and how we live our daily lives here in Chengdu. I feel like the more people from home that come here to visit us, the better those back home will feel about us being so far away.
Thanks Wade for coming. We loved having you and hope you'll come again. Can't wait for our next visitors! Will it be you? Our door is always open.
Love to all. See you soon.
2 comments:
My first trip to China was highlighted by my time with you both. I loved every minute we were together. Thank you for taking the time to show me around Chengdu. We crammed quite a bit into 3 days!! I certainly have a better appreciation for everyday life in China. After being gone for so long a good dose of family was just what I needed to help me make it through. I love you both and thank you again for everything.
-Wade
Thanks Joe & Kim for taking care of my hubby! I could hear the difference in his voice when he was at your house - he went from homesick to having the time of his life. I know that he is so appreciative of your hospitality. We love you guys!
Post a Comment